Building a website could be sometimes tedious, especially if you lack a technical background, but with the WordPress content management system, anyone can create a news website or blog without writing a single line of code.
Among all the website builders and content management systems available on the internet, WordPress remains the most flexible and beginner-friendly website builder. Aside from that, WordPress makes it easier and faster to build a website.
Below are the steps you need to take to build a News website or blog using WordPress.
Step 1: Choose your desired Domain Name
The first step in creating a website is registering a domain name, which is your website name on the internet, for example, Amazon.com or Forbes.com. Using our domain name generator, you can easily get numerous domain name ideas within seconds, click here to use the tool.
Once you have entered your domain name keyword, click the Generate button to get numerous domain name suggestions you can choose from.
Step 2: Purchase a Web Hosting
A web hosting service is a place on the Internet where your website files are stored. Despite the rising number of web hosting platforms available on the internet, Bluehost remains the best and most reliable. They also have a great customer support team to assist with your questions and concerns.
We have also partnered with Bluehost to offer our readers a Free Domain name and 65% Off the normal price.
Click on the “Get Started Now” button to begin the sign-up process
If you plan to build only one website, we recommend the Basic plan; otherwise, opt for the Choice Plus plan
Step 3: Install a WordPress Theme
After completing the Bluehost sign-up process, you would be taken to your new Bluehost account dashboard which already has WordPress pre-installed, you can also log in to your new WordPress website from your Bluehost account dashboard.
A Theme allows you to customize and design your WordPress website. To install a theme, navigate to the left sidebar menu and hover your mouse on Appearance and then click Themes, you will be taken to the theme directory page where you can select and install any theme of your choice.
It's recommended that you install the Astra theme due to its lightweight and numerous customizable demo templates that can be used to create nearly any type of website. Visit the Astra theme website and download the theme on your computer.
To begin downloading the Astra theme, click the Download Now button on the site's homepage
In order to install the theme, you must upload the downloaded file to your website. Click on the upload button to do so.
Select the theme file on your computer storage by clicking on the Choose File button, then click the Install Now button to install the theme on your website.
After the theme has been uploaded and installed, click on the Activate button to activate it.
Step 4: Install WordPress Plugins
A plugin is a piece of software that adds more functionality to your WordPress website. WordPress plugins make it easier for users to add more features to an existing website without writing a single line of code.
Installing a WordPress plugin is really easy, navigate to the left sidebar menu and click on Plugins, then click Add New. You will be taken to the Plugin directory page where you can install any WordPress plugin.
Below is a list of essential WordPress plugins and their uses:
- Elementor: Elementor is an easy-to-use drag and drop WordPress website builder, you can easily choose from a range of ready-made website templates and customize them to meet your needs. Click here to download Elementor.
- Smush: Large images and files size slow down website load time, so enabling this plugin will help compress your website images without affecting their quality.
- Akismet Spam Protection: By activating this plugin, your website's contact form and the comment form will be protected from spam submissions.
- OneSignal: Onesignal allows you to send push notifications to your website visitors (only those who have opted in to receive push notifications).
- Contact Form 7: Contact form 7 allows you to create and customize a contact form on your website.
Step 5: Create Your First Blog Post
To create a new post, click on the Posts menu in the left sidebar then click on Add New, you will be taken to a new page where you can write your blog post, add images, create new categories and tags.
To save your blog post, click on the Publish button at the top-right menu after you have finished writing your article
Step 6: Create Relevant Pages
To add a new page, click on the Pages menu in the left sidebar then click Add New. You will then be taken to a new page where you can add the page title, text contents, and images.
After you have added content to your new page, click the Publish button to save it
Bonus Tip: Instead of using the WordPress default page builder to create your web pages, you might want to consider using the Elementor page builder plugin, which is a widely used WordPress page builder for creating appealing and professional-looking pages.
Here is a video showing how to use Elementor to create a web page, click here
Step 7: Add a Navigation Menu
You can create a navigation menu to make it easier for your visitors to access different pages on your website by following these steps: give your menu a name, add pages to it, and then click the Save Menu button to publish the menu on your website.
The new menu is now visible on your website homepage!
Read Also: How to Add a Logo to Your Website
Step 8: Enhance Your Website by Adding New Features
- Reduce Your Website Load Time: When your website takes a long time to load, you can lose visitors. WP Rocket plugin allows you to significantly increase the speed at which your website loads to less than 2 seconds. Click here to download.
- Improve Your Website Design: Check out these videos to learn how you can enhance your website design and add more features. Click here
- Collect Email Addresses: Approximately 80 percent of your website visitors won't visit again after their first visit. By utilizing Email Marketing, you can easily create an email popup to collect the email addresses of your visitors and notify them whenever your new posts are published. With GetResponse, you can easily create an email list, email popups, and newsletter signup forms.
- Secure Your Website: Keeping your website safe from cyber-attacks and malware is very important. About 30,000 websites are hacked on a daily basis, it's crucial to protect your website against cyberattacks. By installing the Wordfence plugin, your website will be monitored and protected against cyberattacks and malware
Step 9: Launch Your Website
This is the last step in the website building process. Bluehost automatically puts your website in the coming soon mode once WordPress is installed, After your website has been set up, you will need to disable it.
Click the Coming Soon Active button at the top of the Website dashboard.
Finally, click Launch your site at the bottom of the page.
Step 10: Drive Traffic to Your Website
Getting traffic to a new website can be quite challenging, but through SEO ( Search Engine Optimization ) you can rank for keywords with low competition and high search volumes.
According to Wikipedia, Search Engine Optimization is the process of improving the quality and quantity of website traffic to a website or a web page from search engines (mostly Google). Approximately 5.6 billion searches are performed on Google each day, so ranking your website on Google would be the best option.
By installing the Rank Math SEO Plugin, you can rank your website on Google and get more traffic. With this plugin, you can optimize your website both on-page and off-page. Click here to download Rank Math Plugin.
Step 11: Monetize Your Website 💰
Having an awesome and well-optimized news website or blog is great; however, it would be nice if you could earn money from it as well. Below is a list of ways you can make money from your website or blog.
- Ads: Placing ads on your website is a great way of making money from your website. Google Adsense is one of the best ad networks to use on your website, it accepts new sites with low traffic, has a variety of ad formats, and also offers accurate tracking capabilities.
- Affiliate Marketing: With affiliate marketing, you can generate revenue for your website simply by recommending tools, software, products, or services to your website visitors and adding your affiliate links to the recommendations. When someone makes a purchase through your affiliate link, you get a commission. Click here to learn more about how affiliate marketing works.
- Selling Your Own Digital Products or Services: It can be an ebook, an e-course, a blueprint, or digital services such as Website design, Logo design, or Copywriting. With the Woocommerce plugin, you can easily sell your products and receive payments via PayPal, Stripe, or any other payment gateway.
- Selling Ad Space: You can partner with companies or brands to advertise their products or services on your website. It is more lucrative than Google ads, and you charge them a fixed rate or based on the ad performance.
- Selling Sponsored Post: It could also be in the form of writing product reviews or “how-to” guides for a specific product, you would get paid upfront before publishing such articles on your website.
Thank you for reading this post to the end. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section below, and I will respond as soon as possible. If you found this post useful, please share it!